Best Books of the Year 2020

It's that time of the year again, gentle friends. When we look back, at perhaps one of the longest year we've had in all our lives combined. [ Thank you for that Theory of Relativity, Mr. Einstein]


For all that time spent at home, pretending to work and also working my ass off on 14-hour workdays where the lines blur, I managed to smash my reading goals for the year. Already at 58 books and looking good to hit a couple more. And amidst this 58, found a few gems - Some series endings, a series starter, a couple of mid-series bridges that I thought definitely are amongst my top books I read this year [ published this year in 2020 ] 

A few call-outs, before I get onto my top 5. 

1. Was the year I discovered Martha Wells and that endearing fellow called MurderBot in the first four novellas, starting with All Systems Red. while the novel-length story of the MurderBot series came out this year ( Network Effect ) I unfortunately, didn't get around to reading it this year. 

2. Debuts didn't set my mind on fire. Nick Martell's Kingdom of Liars was good, so was Andrea Stewart's Bone Shard Daughter ( absolutely top notch world building and magic system ) - but they don't figure in my top 5. 

3. New Authors discovered ( published earlier than 2020) whom I absolutely adored! - Stephen Graham Jones (The Only Good Indians) Richard Kadrey (The Everything Box) Paulo Bacigalupi (The Drowned Cities) Andrew Mayne ( The Naturalist)

There are few more that I mention in my "Also-rans" - that were actually published in the previous years but I certainly enjoyed them a lot! 

Without further ado,  here are the top FIVE favourite fantasy/SF books that I read this year. 

5. A Time of Courage by John Gwynne

A  heart-wrenching conclusion to the heroic tales of valour in the Banished Lands, neatly tying up stories that spanned seven books. John Gwynne is at the top of his game and I abso-fucking-lutely recommend this series and the previous one to any reader, who calls himself a fantasy fan. It's brilliant and moves at an unstoppable pace, sweeping you along. 

4. The Stone Knife by Anna Stephens

A series opener this, Anna Stephens explodes back into the scene with this mighty epic inspired by the Central American mythos, of a land under siege, of faiths and tribes warring against each other and Gods and Men alike, caught in this maelstrom. It's masterful storytelling by Anna in this new novel that explores a lot of tough themes, weaving disability, LGBTQ effortlessly into the narrative. (Reviewed Here


3. The Girl and the Stars by Mark Lawrence


The writing machine, genius storyteller is back at it. Again! Marking Lawrence's 13th novel, this one starts off a new series set in the same cruel world of Abeth. The story of a revolution led by a young girl who's out to discover more than just herself in a compelling journey under the ice caverns of Abeth. (Review Here

2. The Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie

A stunning stunning middle-book that is better than even the first book, Joe Abercrombie shows us how brittle peace can be. There are multiple 'heroes' in this book, not a single one of them likeable but all shining and so compellingly drawn up. Character arcs widen, there is the trade-mark gallows humour and gritty gritty action set-pieces. But what truly makes the second book set in the First Law world,  is the genius storytelling and we are now awaiting now the explosive stunning conclusion to the events set in motion. (Review Here

1. Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

What can I say about this book, except that it made me tear my hair out in frustration, then howl my lungs in glee as pieces fell together. This is the work of a mad genius, a puzzle box set in deep space, far in the future - with some of our favourite characters from Gideon's maiden space outing back, but focused mainly on a new story with new characters, who grow on you. Read it as you try to rack your brains, read it for the pay-off and read it, of course - to find out if the Ninth survives the perils of a mad bad universe, serving the Emperor.  (Review Here

So there you go, people. I know I have possibly missed out on a lot of gems and that is a post I will do later this week as well. But tell me, what were your favourite books of this year? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Avengers: Infinity War - Movie Review

Netflix Saturdays: Asuran (Movie Review Tamil)

Movie Review: Vada Chennai